Wood River Camp, Illinois: December 1803 - May 14, 1804

The Corps of Discovery expedition established Wood River Camp (also called Fort Dubois) where the Wood River of Illinois joins the Mississippi. Here, men were trained, supplies were gathered, and the expedition was organized. On May 14, 1804, the expedition began its long trip to the Pacific Ocean from this site, first traveling down the Mississippi for a short distance, and then heading northwest up the Missouri.

Image: 
Source: 
Landsat 7 and DEM
JPG name: 
WOOD-RIVER-CAMP-IL
TIF name: 
WOOD-RIVER-CAMP-IL