The environmental implications of the shrimp farm expansion are potentially far-reaching.
- Fish meal fed to the shrimp can contaminate the environment
- Antibiotics used on the shrimp are associated with human health problems
- Misuse of antibiotics and other chemicals can affect groundwater quality
- Mangrove forests are lost
The loss of the mangrove forests leads to further problems.
- Increased risk of inland flooding
- Degraded water quality can reduce catches by off-shore commercial fishers
- A carbon sink area can become a carbon source